Friday, 2 November 2012

A Half Term Break and Lots of Sketching.....


....Spent an Autumnal, cosy and totally chilled out half term in the Pembrokeshire town of Tenby. I love being by the seaside this time of year. It was perfect. Our little boy started school in September so it was such a treat to spend a week enjoying beach walks, fish and chips, and spooky movies.

  I took time out from making dolls (the only time I had a needle and thread in my hand was to stitch a bow tie onto my little boys Halloween Dracula costume!) and concentrated solely on relaxing, sketching and illustrating....



Our Tenby flat was complete with a sea view and a window seat made cosy with blankets and plush velvet cushions!



 
Little doodles....




Caught a star!




Our Halloween hol also included a trip to Folly Farm which includes a vintage fun fair - amazing! My little boy and I thoroughly enjoyed our ride on this 1922 carousel.












Winter Showgirls - mad for lilac hair!





bird girl, owl girl and little clown



  I have to tell you I've been truly inspired these last few weeks by a magical gem of an Etsy find - A World's Fair Edition of Costume Sketches 1939. I had some lovely emails from the seller informing me the booklet was purchased at the estate of an elderly couple who had travelled extensively throughout their lives including a visit to this 1939 World's Fair. Its such a wonderful piece of memorabilia and I shall forever cherish it as inspiration in my doll designs. Here are a few of my favourite pages and some half worked on new designs for a postcard set.






They are so amazing!!!



This one is my favourite. I love the colours














  For this design I also took inspiration from Katherine Hepburns silver moth costume....









Katherine Hepburn in Christopher Strong 1933
 
 Next week I shall be working on more Christmas dolls and starting work on two exciting commissions. I'm sorry my shop is a little low on stock but things seem to fly within days of listing at the moment (my festive tree fairies have fluttered away already!) Its all very exciting and I have lots of magical dolls dancing around in my head waiting to be created so stick with me. Hope everyone has had a lovely week and I look forward to bringing you lots of new creations in the coming weeks x

No comments:

Post a Comment