Friday, 1 March 2013

Ski Slope Miss - working progress

  Before everything becomes positively Spring like this month, let me introduce you to this Ski Slope Missy - inspired by my snowy, Scottish holiday several weeks back....as if making 4 Ski inspired dolly face corsages wasn't enough..........




  When I started work on this doll I had in mind a slightly different body shape. I've been playing around with several new body shapes for a while and as a result this little lady has straighter arms, a bit of structure in her shoulders, shes taller, head is slightly smaller and she has a waist! I was inspired by my little collection of antique wooden dutch dolls (which are dotted around my shelves - love them) I also took some inspiration from the old boudoir dolls of the late 20's and early 30's.
 
  I will be working a little more on this creation, as I want to give her some Skis and some white boots with tiny black buttons down the side.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 








Centre: Maureen O'Sullivan




  I've given her cupid bow lips and added snowdrops to her lashes. She has a felt jacket, hat and mittens - onto which I have stitched a Nordic pattern. Her baggy skipants, top and scarf are made with vintage fabrics.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
.....Her hair is proper old vintage mohair  - probably the very same used on old boudoir dolls and wigs. Its quite rough to the touch but works perfectly.
 
 
 
 
 
 Bette Davis

 
   My world is currently quite chaotic and although my chaos is relatively organised It doesn't stop me from feeling just ever so slightly under pressure. I love what I do and would probably work around the clock - locked in a world of feathers, fabrics, old movies and vintage childrens books. However I'm mighty glad my delightful little boy and supportive husband force me to switch off once in a while. In an attempt to organise my creativity and produce some creations and illustrations I'm desperate to start work on, I won't be accepting anymore commission requests for a while. I'm very excited by the list of custom orders I do have but have to draw a line under accepting work for the time being.. I'm sure you understand.

  Thankyou to those who purchased a corsage or doll from my Etsy shop earlier in the week. What a success those corsages were - maybe I'll make some more!

  Also this week I've started a website!  I've been meaning to do this for sometime and once I got started I thoroughly enjoyed myself. It's still in its early stages but it means you can view my work at a glance in the galleries, instead of trawling back through blog posts. I'd love you to check it out and let me know what you think.?

  I also got a beautiful new printer this week and as soon as I get my head around how it works and connect it up to my laptap (correction my husband connects it up to my laptop) I hope to produce a collection of good quality prints for my shop. Excited!

  Have a wonderful weekend x


Norma Shearer sporting skiwear in the mountains of Switzerland

1 comment: