Tuesday, 23 April 2013

Persephone and Gretchen

  Some years ago I came across a lonesome little wooden doll at a flea market. Her character really stole my heart and I had to buy her. My sweet purchase, I later discovered, was called a Dutch doll, stick doll, or penny doll and originated from Germany in the late 19th century.  I had come across them before but ended up doing a little more research and over the last few years I have bought two more!
 
 
These are not my actual dolls but taken from The wikipedia page
 
 What I love about these old dolls is that they were sold undressed so little girls could then make them clothing from scraps of fabric.
 
  These little dolls are a huge inspiration in my own doll making and I thought it would be nice to create a couple of dolls in homage to these characteristic wooden lovelies.
 
 
Homage to the Dutch Doll. Her face, neck, and lower part of her limbs are painted white, giving her a distinct theatrical feel. Her dress is made from vintage fabric and a little bit of vintage French lace.
 
  I also wanted to experiment a little bit more with painting on fabric - as I have done in several other little projects of late.
 
  I'm not altogether fond of brilliant white fabric in my creations (I prefer things to have a little bit of colour or a layer of dust on them!) however using acrylic paint to get the affect of the dutch dolls painted faces adds a distinct carnival, theatrical dimension which I love!
 
 
 




Little sketches and playing with the idea of a little red clown nose.
 
 
  This second partner in crime to the raven haired cutie is not only inspired by old dutch dollies but also of one of my favourite characters on screen - Gelsomina played by the fascinating Giulietta Masina in the 1954 film La Strada.
 
 
  I have decided to name these dolls Persephone and Gretchen......
 
 
 




 
 
 
 
  Inspiring imagery for this latest project......
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Gelsomina
 
 
 
  You may also be interested to know that I have also made my 1940's style circus showgirl (talked about in a previous post)  Her look is inspired by the colourful and fabulous features of Lucille Ball - vibrant copper red hair, big eyes, arched eyebrows and super long lashes! to be listed in my shop along with my two other Jean Harlow creations in the next few weeks.
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for leaving your kind message! I really love your work too, your dolls make me smile; an inspiration. Sam x

    ReplyDelete