Wednesday, 3 July 2013

Glynis and her Seaside Adventures.....

  At the moment I'm really enjoying illustrating seaside scenes and making the most of creating pretty heroines, caddish fishermen, talking seagulls and friendly sea serpents. I couldn't help but make my central character - I'm calling her Glynis - into a hold in your hand, pop on the shelf figurine.








  She wears quite a simple ensemble in her striped swim suit, but I've worked on making her hair all beachy and wind swept by adding thin wire into her golden locks. By doing this her hair stays upright and gives the impression its caught up in the wind. It took me a while to get it how I wanted it but I'm really happy with the way its turned out.



'Hello'  Gouache and pencil crayon on pastel paper



 
I may rework this sketch so she's part of a bigger picture but unsure yet
 
 
 





I love shells and have quite a few knocking about my house. The perfect prop for wind swept Glynis.

 
  Since I've been such a 'beach and underwater adventurer' lately I just have to share with you this next beautiful discovery. I love vintage children's books and I'm pretty proud of my collection but I'm mighty miffed at how this gem ever escaped my radar...until now...
 
'Priscilla and the Prawn' by Bryan Guinness and illustrated so beautifully by Roland Pym. The tale was first published in 1960 and is the story of an upper class lassie and her underwater seaside adventures. I'm on the look out now to purchase this treasure - my book shelves will be all the better for it.
 
  These illustrations are just heavenly. I love the colour palette, 50's illustration style and Edwardian theme..
 


  I love this one..It seems travelling by shell and seahorse is a rather lovely way to travel!




 


  Other little bits of inspiration....



Pink haired Pip, 50's boat print, handsome fisherman, vintage shell headdress and accessories, Glynis Johns as the Cornish mermaid in 'Miranda' 1948, a Norah Wellings vintage sailor doll, beautiful seahorse and a scan from one of my old children's books



  I got so excited about the wind swept hair I decided to make Glynis a pink haired pal!





  And I also made a start on another illustration...(this is a photo so not too clear and obviously unfinished)



'Forgive me but I've never met a Sea Serpent before!'


My desk

 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah! Thank you very much for your kind comment, I'm a big fan of your whimsical work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi sarah! I love your dolls! You really do a great job! Your blog is fantastic. I,m following you! Bestrgards, montse of lesmiliunaidees.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou so much. Very nice of you. Rest assured I shall be popping over to your blog too. x

      Delete