Tuesday, 9 July 2013

More Seaside Follies.....

  Phew its hot!! I'm finding it a little hard to get going this week so I'm blaming it on the weather. Really hoping to make some headway as we skip on through the week though as I have so many unfinished pieces lying around and I'm desperate to add their finishing touches and list them in my shop.
 
   Myself, husband and little boy headed off to Tenby last Thursday evening for a very sunny, seaside weekend. Sampling the seaside smells, eating fresh fish, collecting sea shells and building sandcastles has provided me with plenty more inspiration for the 'seaside adventures' illustration project.
 
  An adventure indeed......
 
 
 
Underwater Follies Gouache on pastel paper
 
 
  Little details.....
 
 
 



 
 
  The last time we were in Tenby was October 2012 which was an Autumnal/Halloween holiday. The soaring temperatures this last week certainly gave Tenby a very different feel to our last visit.
 
  As part of our long weekend we went on a boat trip to the beautiful island of Skomer just off the coast of Pembrokeshire. It's so full of fantastic wildlife and this time of year it's home to hundreds and hundreds of puffins (the most characteristic of all the sea birds in my mind) We count ourselves lucky to have gone on this little adventure as the trips get very booked up - Such a treat!
 
 
 
 
 
 
  I love this next photo taken by my husband, It seems to capture a funny little human quality - that maybe only I can see?  
 
 
 
 
   Talking of little characters.... Isn't it funny how someone you've created on paper suddenly leaps up from the page and jumps straight into your suitcase - I just had to take Glynis along for a beach backdrop photo.
 
 
This is taken on the window ledge of our holiday flat

 
 


  Gorgeous inspiration......

So many beautiful images. top left: vintage photo with starfish, The Sea Fairies by L Frank Baum, Glynis, bottom left: Nursery Playmates illustrated by Agnes Richardson, old Rupert annual, vintage mermaid illustration.




  Also I just had to share this short Disney film from 1938. I used to watch lots of  Disney Silly Symphonies with my little boy when he was about two. This one was his favourite (mine too)


  Silly Symphonies - Merbabies







I'm going to add a few shells in her hair maybe...



Drawing pictures in the sand...
 
 
  Lets hope our lovely weather continues. I'm not much of a sunbather (unfortunately I don't have the colouring to turn into a honey golden goddess) I'm afraid I'm rather pink - and burn very quickly. I do like working in the garden though I have to say - providing I'm sat in the shade and am covered in SPF 50!
 
  Much love xx

1 comment:

  1. Am loving your seaside themed pictures. Had many a happy holiday in Tenby as a child ~ Sarah x

    ReplyDelete