Friday, 20 September 2013

Autumn Dreams....

  I love this time of year. September always feels like a fresh start: new school year, my birthday, the seasons beginning to change, air getting chilly and the evenings drawing in - I love that.
 
  With Glynis, Clark and Myrtle all gone into hibernation until next Summer and my Cunning Disguise project at a temporary stand still I thought I'd start making and creating some new little characters to take us through the cooler months (if you are in the UK of course)
 
 So here's a taste of the work I've been doing over the last few weeks. These dazzling 1930's girls look oh so chic and stylish in their Autumnal shades......
 
 
 
 
 


  I love making doll face corsages and since I've not made any for a while, here's a preview of my first two - not quite finished - Autumn inspired ladies in their late 1930's hats. Keep your eyes peeled if you'd like to purchase, I hope to make about 6 altogether and am happy to make reserves.





   Every now and then I have a desire to make a slightly larger doll than the usual 15-17 inches... This doll is 21 inches and slightly larger in proportion. She sure is stylish in her cute hat and brown wool pants! (of which I'd like in my size) She also has wire framed legs so she can sit, stand and pose. I have made one or two dolls with wired legs, and let me tell you it's not an easy task! worth it in the end though.


Black felt hat with vintage haberdashery pansies, white merino wool hair, 1940's fabric blouse, brown wool pants with vintage buttons and little red felt shoes with small pom poms.

 
  And finally meet Mimi Allen another platinum 1930's showgirl whose portrait - my favourite - was featured in my Busby Berkeley postcard set.  She looked so sad in her polka dot blouse and halo of white hair that I couldn't help but wonder if she was perhaps thinking about a secret love affair. I've added a vintage fabric hat and vintage haberdashery furry pom pom (not real fur) to complete her look - she was looking a bit under dressed without a hat! As for her polka dot blouse I bought black and white spotted fabric and painted the dots with yellow acrylic paint. I think I'm going to make her a little suitcase as she seems like a travelling girl...
 
 
 

 
 
 

  I've also been watching a lot of 1930's movies this week which really inspires my work. Before I sign off for the weekend I'd just like to share with you the fabulous films I've watched whilst working on these creations. Each of these films I found in their entirety on the Internet and wholeheartedly recommend each and every one.  Evelyn Prentice 1934 was my favourite because I just can't resist Myrna Loy and William Powell together.

 

 


 
 
Merrily We Live 1938
Bed of Roses 1933
Torch Singer 1933
Evelyn Prentice 1934
These Three 1936
 
  Have a wonderful weekend! x
 
 
 

 

1 comment: