Monday, 30 September 2013

Mimi Allen and Dolly O'Brian...

  My main plans this week are to concentrate on tidying, sorting and getting some well over due admin work done - not to mention a few household chores. My shelves are beginning to pile up with receipts, fabric, shells, sketches and er... dust! Nothing is in its correct place! I like a little bit of chaos but I prefer organised chaos and at the moment I'm not as on top of things as I'd like.
 
...However as promised here are some finished snaps of Mimi Allen, now quite finished and skipped already from the shop I'm afraid. I think she's one of my favourite makings to date so I've decided to continue with the off duty showgirl, big pants theme and make another darling dolly of the chorus line - calling this one Dolly O'Brian......
 
 
 
Dolly O'Brian has black curls. Her hat is made the same as Mimi's hat with vintage fabric and a fur pom pom. She will have a similar style blouse and tweed or brown trousers.
 
   Dolly O'Brian is based on this painting, my second favourite in the Busby Berkeley postcard set (the postcard sets are now sold out but I am going to produce some 10 x 8 prints for the shop soon)
 
 
 
 
 
 
  One of my favourite showgirl movies of the 30's has to be 'Stage Door' 1937 It's set in a theatrical boarding house in New York City and stars Ginger Rogers and Katherine Hepburn as the main leads, but it also offers fabulous snippets from Lucille ball, Ann Miller and Eve Arden at the beginning of their movie careers. I can't help thinking that these two travelling showgirls would definitely have spent time at 158 West 58th Street (where this fictional boarding house was situated) and without question they would of had their fair share of dishing out witty one liners, laughs, successes, disappointments and heart aches.
 
 
 
Her little suitcase stays in place with the help of press studs on her hands.










 
 
  
  Stage Door 1937
 
 
 
 
 
   1930's big pant inspiration....
 
Anna May Wong, Jean Harlow, Claudette Colbert and Katherine Hepburn


  I hope everyone has a super week. I for one am really enjoying the sense of autumn in the air, I feel like opening up the red wine and preparing some delicious soups and stews! x

1 comment:

  1. The latest girl is fabulous! I love the whole story behind all your showgirls and they bring such a lovely sense of nostalgia. I was in the play "Stage Door" at Drama School in London years ago, we had such great fun, it was one of those happy go lucky plays. Have a lovely week and I have my eye on one of your prints in your Etsy shop, very tempted xx

    ReplyDelete