Tuesday, 31 December 2013

Little Detectives....

  Well that was 2013! I hope that those who celebrated Christmas had a truly magical knees up - I know I did.

  During the run up to the festivities I treated myself to watching all 6 of The Thin Man movies (well who wouldn't!) I simply adore Myrna Loy and William Powell, and although they made a total of 13 movies together it was their wit, charm and sophistication as martini drinking husband and wife team Nick and Nora Charles - along with their smart little terrier Asta - that had audiences captivated. They were the perfect couple, their marriage was fun and romantic, they were super stylish and appeared so in love.....I was asked recently who I'd invite to the perfect dinner party - why Nick and Nora of course!.....I still want to be Myrna Loy when I grow up.
 
 
Myrna Loy and William Powell as Nick and Nora in The Thin Man 1934


"If you can manage the bread, I'll whip you up some scrambled eggs".....After the Thin Man 1936
 
 
Publicity shot for The Thin Man Goes Home 1944
 
  I also dipped into Myrna Loy's autobiography 'Being and Becoming' which I've had on my book shelf since I was about 18 (I'm quite a fan) It will come as no surprise then that Myrna and William's affection and friendship for one another lasted from the moment they met on 'Manhattan Melodrama' in 1934 until William Powell's death in 1984.  Myrna Loy said of their screen partnership ..'From our very first scene together a curious thing passed between us, a feeling of rhythm, an instinct for how one could bring out the best in the other...a kind of rapport. It wasn't conscious. If you heard us talking in a room, you'd hear the same thing.'


My Christmas reading, plus an old Picturegoer magazine featuring Myrna Loy as Nora with Asta. 

 
 ... It was the sharp and beautiful Nora Charles that was really the inspirational starting point behind my latest three dolls...... And lets be fair Nick couldn't have captured those murderous crooks without Nora!

  I am calling these elegant ladies 'The Little Detectives' and although they are not yet quite finished I thought I'd take some snaps of working progress alongside the stylish photos of  Nick and Nora.



Working progress of three detective dolls inspired by Nora Charles. Top right picture is my little boy creating his own outfit for one lucky lady. 

 
  This next outfit is quite possibly my favourite of Nora's outfits and worn in the first of the comedy detective delights The Thin Man 1934. I was so inspired by her matching hat, skirt and neck tie that I created a similar 1930's ensemble for the first cheeky creation.



'The Thin Man' 1934
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Oh that beautiful Myrna nose!



 
 
Three little sleuths in the making!







                                                             HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Happy new year lovely, these are simply gorgeous and I adore the thin man series and powell and loy they are just perfection together xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy new year! great to find you via twiitter. now following along x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year!! I adore Myrna Loy and William Powell!! Your dolls are too fabulous. xx

    - Gina
    Margarita Bloom: Retro Beauty & Skincare
    http://margaritabloom-glamourville.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete