Monday, 13 January 2014

Ballerinas....

  Good Morning Monday! I hope that everyone has had a lovely weekend and are feeling geared up for the week ahead.

  After finishing my 'Thin Man' dolls last week (although there is still a Nora Charles style paper doll to come) I'd already started to fall head over heels into my next obsession - blissful, vintage ballerina heaven! Think of Ludmilla Tchérina in The Red Shoes 1948 - or indeed just The Red Shoes, Margot Fonteyn and her early career, Zizi Jeanmarie in Hans Christian Anderson or the beautiful Vivien Leigh in the romantic, weepy Waterloo Bridge 1940.... Put these snippets together and you'll have an idea where I'm going with my next project.

  I always start with lots of very sketchy sketches before I start on the final artwork. I'm calling my ballerina Renee, she has black wavy hair, a passionate temperament and is always in love... 


Sketchy sketch and beginnings of Renee



A Ballerina's Tour Essentials...Gouache on Handmade Khadi paper




  My current phase started last weekend after seeing a fascinating clip on BBC1's Antiques Roadshow which was filmed at The Royal Ballet school, white lodge in Richmond Park. Among the treasures not only were we treated to exquisitely modelled porcelain figures made by prima ballerina Anna Pavlova, but Margot Fonteyn's actual makeup box from her tour to Moscow in 1961 (full of her greasepaints, brushes and lashes etc..)  I found it extraordinarily beautiful I just couldn't help but be inspired. If you didn't see it you can watch the clip here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01p30gv




  When I was a little girl I thought that to be a ballerina you had to have black hair, a centre parting and wear brick red lipstick. 


  Here are some of the images I've collected as little mood boards of inspiration...

  Ludmilla Tchérina in The Red Shoes 1948...

 Ludmilla Tchérina is the perfect vision of my childhood perception of what a ballet dancer had to look like. If I'd seen this beautiful lady in the street I would have said  'mum there's a ballerina' without her even dancing a step!





  Margot Fonteyn.....





  Zizi Jeanmarie in Hans Christian Andersen 1952.....




  And Vivien Leigh in Waterloo Bridge 1940...




  Have a great week and I look forward to showing you more work soon. Curious Pip xx



2 comments:

  1. So so beautiful Sarah! Black hair and red lips have always been idea of beauty ever since my snow white book when I was little, so this just makes me giddy xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Hannah, Yes I am the same. I'm mourning for my black hair lately so it's pleasing to create this raven haired beauty. Glad you like my post x

      Delete