Wednesday, 5 February 2014

New Character - Claudette....

  'Essentials for a Week on the Slopes' now available in my little shop


 Essentials for a Week on the Slopes...Gouache on Handmade Khadi paper




  I am naming this ski slope starlet - Claudette. She is based on one of my favourite movie stars of the 1930's and 40's Claudette Colbert. Having seen most of Claudette Colbert's romantic comedies over the years I was stunned therefore to realise I'd not seen 'I Met Him In Paris' 1937. So with tea, toast and sketch book in hand I had a lovely, cosy afternoon last week watching Ms Colbert - wearing lots of great snowy mountain clobber! share a jolly jaunt in Switzerland with her romantic co-stars Melvyn Douglas and Robert Young.


I Met Him In Paris 1937


  The movie features skiing, skating and other slapstick winter sports which all makes for very romantic fun - the kind that served Claudette Colbert so often during her long career. The title of the film however doesn't really fit with the movie.... most of the film is set in Switzerland with just a snippet in Paris at the beginning of the film. (in reality the alpine, snowy mountain scenes were actually filmed at Sun Valley in Idaho and nowhere near the Swiss Alps!)

  As I said in a previous post I will be heading off to Scotland again soon and just can't wait to get myself up into the snowy Cairngorm mountains for some further snowy winter sport inspiration. I have started creating a Claudette cloth cutie complete with ski pants, mittens and a heavy tweed jacket. I will of course be giving her boots,socks and a hat. She may even find her way into my suitcase for a mountain photo! Hope you like her.






  In other news you may be interested to know I have now jumped on the Instagram bandwagan! You can find me/follow me here if you wish. In many ways I felt I perhaps had enough social networking going on but what I find interesting about Instagram is you get a little peek at people's lives and what interests and inspires them. I do intend to post pictures of my working day and creations but I will also be posting photos of my vintage finds, snippets of my world and the places I visit.

  Enjoy the rest of the week and here's a little mood board of ski slope glamour for you. x



Clockwise: ski slope stylish lady, Sonja Henie, Claudette Colbert, Rita Hayworth, Sonja Henie and Olivia de Havilland, 




No comments:

Post a Comment