Thursday, 17 July 2014

The Women.....

  The Women 1939

  It has to be one of the most fabulous movies of all time right? I've watched this movie so many times I can practically recite it! A cast full of MGM leading ladies all in one picture, directed by the one and only George Cukor, lavishly costume designed by - in my opinion - the God of gowns Adrian and with some of the wittiest wise cracks and outstanding character performances all rolled up into one movie, what's not to like about The Women!


What a line-up! L to R Florence Nash,  Phyllis Povah, Rosalind Russell, Joan Crawford, Norma Shearer, Paulette Goddard, Mary Boland, Joan Fontaine.


  Ever since I was a little girl I've sketched characters and costumes whilst watching old movies. So a few weeks ago I took myself off to bed with my sketch book and dvd of The Women and attempted to 'Pip' each and every fabulous character!


Sketchy late night drawings


  Over the course of the Summer I'm going to build up a collection of the whole cast, including some of the very small roles - my favourite being the gossipping, big eyed manicurist Olga.  Here are a few I've already painted. I may well do one or two of them again but here's how they are looking so far.....






  One of my absolute favourites, the scene stealing Mary Boland as The Countess De Lave.....





Paulette Goddard  and Mary Boland as Miriam and the Countess


2 small roles that stand out in the The Women are from Dennie Moore as Olga the manicurist and Virginia Grey as Pat the perfume counter clerk.
And yes I do own a bottle of Jungle Red!!


  I'm still yet to create Mary Haines (Norma Shearer) I've sketched her up several times but not yet got her quite right, but there will be further attempts over the weekend.


'I've had two years to grow claws, mother....Jungle Red!!!'


  And you know I said I wouldn't be able to hold back on creating a slinky hooded fox that is Miriam Adams....


'Champagne?...Right you are!'
 Paulette Goddard as Miriam Aarons


I had originally wanted to do this outfit in blue but didn't quite have to right fabric I was after. I have made this outfit with a vintage silk peach and white patterned scarf, and additional silk ribbon. She has a rhinestone brooch  and will also have a rhinestone bracelet and a vintage lace and felt bag.


Messy Desk!

  I also quite fancy pulling out some green silky fabric (because I can just imagine her draped in green) and spending several days working on the hysterical Gossip Queen - Sylvia Fowler!....Just a thought.








  Hope that everyone is having a tip top week. There will be more from The Women soon. And if you've not seen this marvellous film I think it is available on Youtube. 



6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous costumes and illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely work sweetheart :) and yes its a fabulous film. Another of my personal favourites is Mad About Men, you can find it on dvd , its absolutely wonderful, it has the most lovely Glynnis Johns on there, shes a mermaid--but I wont say anymore about it. If you havent seen it, then please do, you will adore it. Bless you for your supportive words over on my blogg and I love your work, its beautiful xxx us dollmakers need to stick together and girls ! have a beautiful weekend, love Miss D xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deborah, Thankyou so much for your lovely comments. Yes it is a fabulous film, I'll never tire of it. Yes I have seen 'Mad about Men' It's lovely! and in Technicolour! Have you seen the prequel to it? A black and white film called 'Miranda' also with the stunning Glynis Johns as a flirty mermaid - you'd love it.
      Have a lovely weekend
      Sarah x

      Delete
  3. I just watched "The Women" for the first time yesterday (partially due to this post). My favorite character was Joan Fontaine's. And Rosalind Russell was perfect for her part! It was interesting how even though there was no men it felt like they were there and you knew them. The very end was well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou for your comments. So glad you enjoyed the women and that my work played a part in inspiring you to watch it. I'm attracted to its witty script and amazing outfits!

      Delete
    2. The outfit with the eyes was... I can't eve describe it but is was so her character! My favorite dress was the one Joan Fontaine wore at the very end (the one in your pictures). On a side note, I have also watched some Jean Harlow films due to your posts (I have two on my dvr to watch right now!). Since you love the Thin Man movies and I love the Thin Man movies it must mean you have good taste too! ;)

      Delete