Saturday, 16 August 2014

Myrna Knows Hats........

  I've always had a tremendous obsession with hats (especially vintage hats) my grandma was to blame, she never left the house without a hat, even in her early eighties, health sadly failing, if she went out it was always with a hat. There's something about a hat that pulls an outfit together (especially if you've teamed it with suitably matching gloves, bag and shoes)

  My favourite gal Myrna Loy certainly had a head for hats!




  Several months ago I started working on a little set of illustrations inspired by Myrna Loy. Despite trying to concentrate on other work I keep coming back to this delightful little project and adding more ideas and scenes. I always strikes me how marvellous she looked, whether it be in a 1930's jaunty beret or a 1940's turban...'Myrna knows Hats!!'


Myrna Loy inspired illustrations



'Did you say something about scrambled eggs?' I love the way Asta appears just at the very end..


  I never get tired of reading about Myrna and her incredible life and career. I just adore watching her movies no matter how many times I've seen them. I was so thrilled last week when I discovered two movie gems - that I not seen before- hidden in the depths of the Internet - 'When Ladies Meet' 1933 and 'Topaze' also 1933. I'll admit they're not as snappy and 'Ms Loy' focused as her hugely popular future vehicles, but these movies were made just before she 'hit the big time' in The Thin Man 1934. As usual Myrna looks so smart and stylish, you can't take you eyes off her when she's on the screen, she shines, she stands out and it's easy to see that her already amazing career is about to get even more exciting. In 'Topaze' she wears two very cute hats that captured my attention and prompted me to rework my 'Myrna knows Hats' illustration. It's not that I wasn't happy with my first one I just felt the urge to illustrate hats that were recognisable from particular movies.



When Ladies Meet 1933





Here are the hats I've featured in my illustration...



Clockwise from top left:  Topaze 1933, Thirteen Women 1932, Shadow of the Thin Man 1941, The Thin Man 1934, Test Pilot 1938, Lucky Night 1939


The Prizefighter and the Lady 1933


  I think maybe the 6 hats is enough. I started off wanting to fill the whole page but felt the eye lost its focus and left the illustration a bit jumbled. Hope you like it.


'Myrna Knows Hats' 


   This will be available as a print along with lots of others in my shop very soon. The holidays slow me down a little bit, but come September I will be giving my shop a complete 'do over'



Stamboul Quest 1934


Clockwise from top left: Publicity shot for Whipsaw 1935, Shadow of the Thin Man, publicity shot, The Thin Man 1934, Whipsaw 1935 and The Prizefighter and the Lady 1933

A head full of olives! The Martini Hat in 'Third Finger Left Hand' 1940

  Since I'm writing this post on a Saturday..I hope everyone is having a lovely weekend! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment